Your shower curtain and liner are two things you rely on day in and day out to shower and bathe effectively. Unfortunately, these items can accumulate soap scum and mildew over time, resulting in dingy, dirty, and sometimes even visibly mildew-spotted curtains or liners. Though you might be tempted to toss your curtain or liner when it’s soiled, it is fairly easy to clean these items at home.
For a simple way to wash your curtain and/or liner, follow these steps:
1. Remove the rings, then toss the curtain and the liner in the washing machine. To better clean, your curtain and liner, add a few bath towels, which will provide some extra scrubbing power.
2. Add the regular amount of detergent to the load and ½ to 1 cup of baking soda.
3. Wash in warm or hot water at the highest level.
4. At the rinse cycle, add ½ to 1 cup of distilled white vinegar.
5. Allow fabric curtains to run through the spin cycle, then hang to dry.
6. If the curtain or liner is plastic, there’s no need to run it through the spin cycle. You can simply grab the curtain from the appliance and hang it back in your shower.
7. If your white or clear curtain or liner is especially soiled with mildew, add one cup of bleach to the water when washing. Use a color-safe bleach alternative if your items are colored.
You can also prevent soap scum and mildew build-up by practicing these simple procedures every time you use your shower:
• Avoid using bar soaps, which are more likely than body wash or non-soap cleanser to leave behind soap scum.
• Prevent build-up by spraying the shower curtain and liner daily with a mixture of half water and half white vinegar. If you want to lessen the vinegar smell, add a few drops of lemon oil.
• Once a week, spray the curtain and liner with the vinegar/water mixture before scrubbing with a cleaning brush. This will remove any build-up potentially missed during your daily spraying.
Staying on top of your personal and professional life can be a challenge. At Oxford at Medical Center Apartments in San Antonio, Texas, we hope to make your daily routine a bit easier with tips and tricks that can be applied to every aspect of life.