With a soup can as iconic as the recipe inside, Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup is a mainstay in many kitchens across the country. Yet, as delicious as the canned soup maybe, you can’t deny that the highly processed food is lacking the depth and flavor of homemade cream of mushroom – and, that’s where this recipe comes in. For a comforting bowl of Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, check out this tasty recipe by Café Delites, which makes enough for six servings.
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 2 onions, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 1/2 pounds (750 g) fresh brown mushrooms, sliced
• 4 teaspoons chopped thyme, divided
• 1/2 cup Marsala wine (any dry red or white wine)
• 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
• 1-2 teaspoons salt, adjusted to taste
• 1/2-1 teaspoons black cracked pepper, adjusted to taste
• 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
• 1 cup heavy cream or half and a half (sub with evaporated milk)
• Chopped fresh parsley and thyme, to serve
1. Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until melted. Sauté onion for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add mushrooms and 2 teaspoons thyme, cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the wine and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
3. Sprinkle mushrooms with flour, mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock, mix again and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium heat, season with salt, pepper, and crumbled bouillon cubes.
4. Cover and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, while occasionally stirring, until thickened.
5. Reduce heat to low, stir in cream or half and half. Allow to gently simmer (do not boil). Adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
6. Mix in parsley and remaining thyme. Serve warm.
Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Oxford at Medical Center Apartments in San Antonio, Texas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!